ODM is a business rule management system, it is the evolution of ILog Jrules. ODM provides a complete system to operate day to day operational decisions, ODM collaborates IT and business with its language interface.
ODM helps to the business to take critical decisions for example rate to charge clients, suppliers selection, inventory management etc. In our day to day life these decisions are very critical and most of them are repetitive in nature. Some repetitive decisions are automated and some are manual. There is alway risk of inconsistency with these decisions and they are difficult to change and manage. ODM streamline these critical decision processes and thus manages organizations day to day operations.
ODM has a integrated business rules and event management platform which improve the quality of organizational decisions. ODM brings two powerful business operation technologies ILog Jrules and Websphere business event together.
Steps involved in ODM decision management
1. Obtain the decision making logic from applications, business processes or it can be obtained from existing spreadsheets etc.
2. Put all the obtained decisions into a common repository.
3. Provide access to the authorized personnel in the organization to access, view edit or make the required changes.
Needs of ODM for business
Business rules can easily be formulated with ODM, suppose there is a simple business rule to buy a product or not. There can be certain conditions which implies on your decision making process-
1. Product pricing should be under USD 50 per unit
2. Product should be purchased on certain days in week, demand fluctuates as per requirements
3. It should be bought from the established supplier, who has good previous working history
The above decision is very simple, a staff manager can easily make the above decision, but as the scale increases then it requires automation for effectiveness of the process. ODM simplifies the decision making process by collaborating business events with the business rules.
How Operational Decision Management works for decision making
ODM enables business events and business rules to work together to automate the business decision making process. As show in the figure below in the customer acquisitions process, business events determines situation from various channels like Internet, call centers or through agencies. Then business rules determines the customer acquisitions situation from each channel. Finally the decisions column determines the precise decisions in the real time for each given context.
Benefits of Operational Decision Management
Operational decision management makes the overall decision making process fast and transparent, there are some of the benefits listed below with ODM solution.
1. Improve process efficiency and effectiveness
ODM improves the overall process by automation, it results in faster delivery time and thus reduce the overall cost.
2. Enhance customer experience for the End users
Predefined and accurate decisions results in better customer experiences and reduces the sales cycles.
3. Increase business process agility
Business process are faster and easy to make the required changes.
4. Contributes in better business insights
It provides better visibility of the business context, and defines the procedures to implement in the operational system.
Latest posts by sandeep.kmishra (see all)
- Estimote Beacons- Real World Context and Applications - February 27, 2014
- iOS7 autolayout for Automatic positioning and resizing UI elements - January 30, 2014
- Why to use mobile apps for vacation rentals - January 30, 2014